Friday, April 3, 2009

The Spring Break Report: Days 5 and 6

Wednesday we went to the Mariner's game. Ichiro was not playing that day, which was a little disappointing, but we did get to see Griffey. He even hit a home run. Our seats were nice and close, just up from third base. We never get to sit that close to the action at Safeco. It was fun to see a game in such a small stadium. We wished we could have stayed another day to go the game the next day. The boys and I walked out to the grassy area, where you can sit for only $6. The view wasn't as good as from our seats, but you can stretch out and relax while enjoying the sun and the game.

After the game, we had dinner at Cheesecake factory with Janet's friends who moved to the Phoenix area after retiring. And then we were off for another stop at Costco to see if they had anything different in Phoenix, and to get a book for the drive back to St. George.

On Thursday we started the drive back to Utah, but stopped in Camp Verde (about an hour North of Phoenix) to go to the Out of Africa Park. There was a lot of whining from Simon about stopping there as he wasn't feeling that well, but it was pretty cool and the whining stopped right away. We started off on a safari drive. The best part of that was meeting the giraffe. He was so friendly and even gave Steve a kiss. At the end of the safari we saw him standing by the gate, as if he were waiting for the next bus to come through with their treats for him.

There were other animals on the safari and other places in the park. You can see more pictures of our stop (and other Spring Break pictures) here. We ended the visit with a camel ride, which the boys and Stacey seemed to enjoy.

The rest of the drive was long and uneventful. There is not a lot to see once you are past Flagstaff; there is just a lot of red rocks flat ground. Every once in a while you will see a small collection of houses and wonder what those people do out there in the middle of nowhere.

We finally got into St. George around 8:30 PM and stopped for some burritos at Cafe Rio. I got the pork, which was good, but really not as good as the Cafe Rio "taste-alike" that my mom makes.

We now have to pack and get ready for the flight home. The week just flew by, and I'm not looking forward to going back to the cold weather and rain.

No comments: